In my last post I cribbed about missing Hypercity – I still do – like hell. But like I also pointed out, we’ve found a close equivalent in Spar Hypermarket. Located in the MGF Metropolis, its right opposite our place (Metro stop: MG Road). Spar is a joint venture between the Dubai based Landmark Group (which also owns Lifestyle) and SPAR International (of Dutch origin).
Coming back to Spar, its well, quite your regular supermarket with all the regular stuff. Some imported stuff, though I think Le Marche would be a better option if you were looking for purely imported stuff.
Went through the chips, soft drinks routine then finally arrived at the frozen foods section. To my utter joy I discovered they stored frozen berries, which went by the name The Connoisseurs. Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries all available. Pricing is a little steep at 150 for a 200 gm pack. The husband loves blueberry muffins, the ones you get at coffee shops are totally fraudulent – muffins with half a teaspoon of blueberry jam. Such a pity, but we used to buy a ready mix to make them almost every week. Hence, I jumped when I saw them.
Made them through the whole of last week – they were just lovely – threw in some strawberries I had as well – very moist and stayed almost a week. Here goes.
Adapted from: Joy of Baking
325 grams all-purpose flour
150 grams sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest of one orange and juice (used a kinnow, which is in season)
1 egg, lightly beaten
240 ml yogurt, whisked
120 ml oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
About 350 gms frozen berries (I used blue & strawberries)
· Preheat oven to 190 degrees C
· Position rack in center of oven. Line with paper liners
· In a large measuring cup or bowl whisk together the egg, yogurt, oil, and vanilla extract
· In another large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt
· Gently fold in the berries. With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined
· Add orange zest and juice
· Fill each muffin cup almost full with batter
· Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about20 - 25 minutes
· Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 - 10 minutes before removing from pan
If you want to order the same (in Gurgaon), please do not hesitate to email me on firstname.lastname@example.org!